Ask yourself this question, and spend some time thinking about it. In my opinion it is important to understand why you play – people play this game for different reasons, some include:
– Money – obv – but is your goal to have this be your sole source of income, or just make a few bucks on the side…
– Escape – you might have a crappy day job, a difficult home situation (parents, spouse, whatev), or some other life ‘inbalance’ that you use your online poker account to avoid thinking about
– Friends – maybe a bunch of your closest friends play, and you want to share that common thread
– Freedom – or the allure of freedom – this is a bit tied to escape, but you might play regularly hoping to get that illusive ‘f.ck you pass’ to do whatever you want, whenever you want. this is often like chasing a pot at the end of rainbow…but nonetheless we chase anyway
– Travel – if you can scratch together a decent enough roll to travel, or have a backer, you have the potential to stay in nice hotels in vegas, la, london, australia, bahamas, etc….that can be fun – but away from poker tournaments you have the schedule flexibility to go wherever you want.
– Fun – perhaps an underlooked reason for playing – making money is fun, but beating people and ‘winning’ at whatever you are doing can be equally rewarding. You’ll find more than a few regular micro-stakes grinders who play for more or less fun – making a few hundred or thousand playing online is fine with them – and they can keep it balanced.
Balance. It’s important. Life, Family, Friends, Relationships, Fitness (physical and mental), Eating Right, Sleeping Right…some of us degens neglect many (or all) of these categories…pick up a non-poker related book, go snowboarding, gamble for dollars at the baseball game with some friends…log off for a sec. Or don’t. It’s your world, we’re just living in it.